Ribbon chart is Power BI native visual and it is similar like stacked column chart in Power BI with some advance functionality.
With Ribbon Chart you can see the rank & sales changes difference between categories. It always shows large value in each column at the top then the next value comes after.
Let’s get started-
Download Sample dataset- Global_superstore_2016.xls
Follow these steps in order to create a Ribbon chart:
Step-1: Import Orders dataset from Global superstore file.
Step-2: Add Ribbon visual into Power BI report page with some columns.
Legend: Year from Order date
Step-3: Now understand the rank change behavior, just move the mouse gap between “LATAM” & “USCA”.
As you can see in above screen shot for Year 2013 – LATAM sales is 464733.30 & USCA sales for year 2013 is 486629.31, which is less then from USCA sales.
So, here rank has drop by 1 number, earlier for Year 2013 it was 3 and now it is 4. Rank always count from top to bottom. See rank number in below screen shot-
Gap between every category presents the sales & rank change difference.
Formatting Ribbon chart-
You can set the font size, font family, Title name, X axis, Data labels & colors for chart visual.
Click any where on chart then go to Format Pane & set below properties-
- General: Allows you to set X axis & Y axis, width & height of chart.
- Legend: Set the font size, font-family, color & position of legend on chart.
- X-Axis: Allows you to modify the appearance of the X-Axis section of this chart.
- Title: Specified the Title name for Chart.
- Data colors: Here you can change the colors used for each series in the chart.
- Data labels: Its enable the values for each category on chart & you can set the display unit, position & orientation of labels.
- Zoom Slider: Enables zoom feature on chart, using this you can easily saw the small values on chart.
- Ribbon: Allows you to set the Space, Matching series color & border for ribbon.
Refer other Power BI topics: Power BI Visuals
Hope you enjoyed the post. Your valuable feedback, question, or comments about this post are always welcome or you can leave us message on our contact form , we will revert to you asap.