An area chart is a type of data visualization in Power BI that displays quantitative data as series of data points connected by filled areas.
It is commonly used to represent how different data sets contribute to the whole over a period of time or a category.
Refer – Line chart in Power BI
Let’s get started-
Download Sample dataset- Global_superstore_2016.xls
Following these steps in order to create an Area chart-
Step-1: Import dataset from Global superstore file.
Step-2: Add an area chart to the Power BI report canvas and then drag the following columns onto the chart:-
X-axis: Month, Y-axis: Sales & Profit
Step-3: Area chart with secondary values-
Drag Profit column in secondary values, and go to format section & enable Secondary Y-axis.
Formatting Area chart-
You can set the font size, font family, Title name, X axis, Y axis & Data labels colors for chart visual.
Select the chart > Go to “Format your visual tab”> Under visual section you can see the some important properties of chart
X-Axis: Set the font size, font family, color, title for x-axis.
Y-Axis: Set the font size, font family, color, display units, line style, title for y-axis.
Secondary Y-axis: Set the font size, font family, color, display units & title for secondary y-axis.
Legend: Specified the Legend Text color, font size, Position & Title.
Zoom Slider: Enables zoom feature on chart, using this you can easily saw the small values on chart.
Lines: Under line section you can manage the following properties:
- Data colors: Using this section you can change the colors used for each series in the chart & customize the all line color individually.
- Shapes: You can enable markers on Line & customize the marker shapes for all lines individually.
Markers: Manage the line marker shape, size and color.
Data labels: Its enable values on Line chart.
Series labels: Display the series labels on the visual.
Title: Under general tab you can see the title section> Here you can set the below properties-
- Title- Specified the title for chart, & manage the font size, color, background for chart.
- Subtitle- Specified the subtitle for chart, & manage the font size, color, background for chart.
- Divider- Enable the line between Title & chart.
- Spacing- Manage the space between title, Subtitle & chart area.
Refer other Power BI topics: Power BI Visuals
Hope you enjoyed the post. Your valuable feedback, question, or comments about this post are always welcome or you can leave us message on our contact form , we will revert to you asap.