Power BI Service allows you to create a email subscription for report & dashboard, to using this you can get updated snapshot of report or dashboard over the mail.
You can set the subscription email receive frequency daily, weekly, or when the data refresh.
- To create a subscription users should be a Power BI Pro license user.
- You can set up to 24 different subscriptions per report or dashboard per day.
So, Let’s start with an example –
Step-1: Login to Power BI Service account and open report & dashboard which you want subscribe, here I will set subscription for Report.
Step-2: Click to Email Subscription Icon.
Step-3: After that click to “Add new subscription“, and follow below steps:-
- Subscribe: Enter mail id of those users which you want to send subscription over the mail, you can enter multiple mail id’s.
- Subject: Enter mail subject.
Step-4: Write Small description about report, it is an optional and if you have multi page report you can select the page for mail snapshot accordingly.
Step-5: Choose the time you want to receive the email- daily, weekly, hourly, monthly or when data refresh.
- After data refresh(Once daily): If you choose this option then you will get mail once a day after data refresh.
- Daily: Receive the subscription daily on given time.
- Hourly: If you choose Hourly, select the Scheduled Time you want the subscription to start, and it will run every hour after that.
- Weekly: To receive the subscription email only on certain days, select Weekly and choose which days you’d like to receive it.
- Monthly: If you select Monthly, enter the day’s of the month you wish to receive the subscription mail.
Step-6: Choose Scheduled Time & Zone with subscription start & end date.
And last two check box option are optional: Select whether to include a link back to the content in Power BI and whether to give users access to the content you’re subscribing them to.
If you choose to include a link, ensure that all users have access to the report.
Step-7: Now click to Save and close. To test the Subscription, Open subscription to click email icon & click to Run Now.
You’ll see a notification that an e-mail is on its way to everyone for that particular subscription.
This manual Run Now action doesn’t count against your limit of 24 scheduled subscription runs per day per report or dashboard.
Step-8: Check your inbox to see the subscription mail.
Follow the same steps for dashboard subscription & also you can select report other page for subscription.
Email subscription attachment
Microsoft release this “full report attachment as” feature in feb-2021 updates.
- Add a thumbnail preview of the report page to the body of the email.
- Add the full report as an attachment instead of only a single report page and select either PDF or PowerPoint. The size of the attachment is limited to no more than 20 pages and less than 25 MB. The attachment respects all privacy labels for the report.
Note: The report attachment requires you to have a premium upgraded workspace with a PRO or PPU user license. Otherwise it will not be visible to you.
How to Manage the Subscription?
Step-1: Go to the report datasets, then click to ellipse icon.
Step-2: After that click to settings > Select Subscriptions > Click to Edit Icon.
After that it will open the Subscription window and you can change accordingly, also you can delete the subscription to click delete icon.
Recommended Post: Set Data Alerts in the Power BI Service
Hope you enjoyed the post. Your valuable feedback, question, or comments about this post are always welcome or you can leave us message on our contact form , we will revert to you asap.